SHOULD THIS PAGE NOT LOAD PROPERLY
PLEASE CLICK HERE
Woodlands, located mid-way between Farran’s Point and Dickinson’s Landing along highway #2 was situated on the shores of the St. Lawrence River opposite Croil’s Island. Although the origin of “Woodlands” may be lost in time, it is believed to have been so named because of the heavily wooded shoreline and islands.
Woodlands grew around farms, all of which dated to the arrival of the United Empire Loyalists in 1784. During its existence, Woodlands boasted a post office, general stores operated by the Fickes and Baker families, and two churches, St. Matthew’s Presbyterian Church and St. Peter’s Anglican Church.
Woodlands was best known to the many tourists who stopped at the cottages which lined Highway #2. Ernest Campbell’s “Camp-Belle Cottages” and confectionery was a well-known establishment at Woodlands.